William Morehouse

American
(1929 – 1993)

Biography

Born in San Francisco in 1929, William Paul Morehouse attended the California School of Fine Arts from 1947-50. Clyfford Still considered Morehouse one of his most talented students and asked him to function as his teaching assistant. Although one of the youngest students at the school, he was singled out by Marcel Duchamp during the dada artist’s visit to the campus in 1949. Along with a number of Styll’s other students from the CSFA, Morehouse helped to found Metart Galleries, among the first of San Francisco’s alternative exhibition spaces. Styll was to have a solo exhibition there in 1950. After returning from the Korean War as a Master Sergeant in the infantry (awarded a purple heart), Morehouse studied at the CCAC, then returned to the CSFA and received his BFA in 1954. Later in 1954, he was included in the group exhibition, Younger American Painters, at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, along with deKooning, Diebenkorn, Motherwell and Jackson Pollock.


Select Solo Exhibitions

1954 Telegraph Gallery
1958 6 Gallery
1958 John Bolles Gallery
1961 Realities Gallery
1965 Harbor Gallery
1967 Richmond Art Center
1969 Galeriea Carl Van der Voort,
1979 Sunne Savage Gallery
1980 John Bolles Gallery
1982 Dana Reich Gallery
1995 Sonoma State University


Select Group Exhibitions

1951 California Palace of the Legion of Honor
1953 Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1956 Cantor Museum of Art
1957 California Palace of the Legion of Honor
1959 The Whitney Museum of American Art
1959 California Palace of the Legion of Honor
1960 San Francisco Museum of Art
1961 California Palace of the Legion of Honor
1966 Boston Center for Contemporary Art
1970 San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
1973 The Oakland Museum of California

 

Selected Collections

The Whitney Museum of American Art
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
The Oakland Museum of California
Crocker Art Museum
Butler Institute of American Art
Cranbrook Art Museum
Smithsonian Institution
Smith College Museum of Art
University of California Berkeley Art Museum

William Morehouse, 1960, 58″ x 44″